Registration of Foreign Marriage in Nepal

The process of marrying a foreigner in Kathmandu, Nepal

Foreign citizens are legally permitted to marry in Nepal. Certain provisions must be followed and documents must be planned before beginning the Marriage Registration process in the District Court. The information below outlines the critical documents that must be obtained, as well as how to obtain them.

1. Letter of No Objection/Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry

You’ll require evidence that you have the legal right to marry. Your embassy will issue you documentation to prove your Single Status. Each embassy has its own set of rules and regulations. You must make an appointment before visiting the American embassy. In Australia, however, you must go to the Department of Justice in your state of residence to obtain proof of single status. Only then will the Australian Embassy issue you a Certificate of Impediment referencing the previous document.

Before traveling to Nepal, it is preferable to contact the Nepali Embassy in your home country to learn about the provisions. If your country does not have an embassy in Nepal, you will need to obtain proof of your single status as well as a letter of no objection from the local government body before you can marry in Nepal.

2. Clear evidence of at least 15 days stay in Nepal

Your marriage registration process can only begin after you have been here for at least 15 consecutive days. It will be impossible to register your marriage if you leave during this time. The Ward Office will issue you a  letter that will serve as proof of your stay in Nepal.

If you are staying in a hotel, you can ask for this document to be provided to you. If you are renting an apartment, you must bring your Contract Paper with you and go to the Ward Office in that neighborhood.

3. Marriage laws in your country

If you are a foreign national getting married in Nepal, you must also consult the marriage laws of your home country. Before your marriage can be registered in Nepal, you must present the original document as well as a translated copy in Nepali to the court. Because the original laws are written in English, a licensed notary translator must translate it. If you speak Spanish, Portuguese, Korean, Japanese, or Chinese, you must visit to the Bishwo Bhasa Campus and have your language translated into Nepali.

4. Notary Public Certification.

Prior submission to the court, a notary public officer must certify all of the above-mentioned documents, including a photocopy of your passport and visa.

5. A passport or a visa.

6. copies of passport-sized photos

Marriage Certificate Sample of a foreigner in Nepal

Also Read

Links To Consider

Kathmandu District Court in Kathmandu Nepal

Forms available for download