What are the benefits of legally registering a marriage?
- Marriage is one of the most intimate responsibilities you can take on. It imposes rights and duties on both husband and wife in order to keep the relationship going.
- A marriage certificate is a legal document that serves as proof of marriage.
- A marriage certificate is a legal document that provides economic security and self-esteem, notably to married women.
- In the event that something goes wrong, a marriage certificate can help you assert your rights.
Where do people go to register their marriages?
Marriages in Nepal can be registered with the District Court where the parties have resided for at least 15 days prior to the wedding.
What are the requirements for marriage registration?
The restrictions listed in Nepal's National Civil Code 2074 are as follows.
- A bridegroom or bride who wishes to marry should not have previously been married.
- A bridegroom or bride who is unable to give consent due to a mental health condition is ineligible for marriage.
- Marriages of those who are capable of consenting to marriage but are unable to conceive due to a mental disability are ineligible for registration.
- Insanity is grounds for disqualification from entering into a marriage.
- Marriages performed with people in prohibited relationships are ineligible for legal status unless otherwise permitted by custom or usage governing such people.
Where can I get my marriage certificate?
Generally, you can apply for your marriage certificate at any District court in Nepal where you want to get married.
Is it mandatory for me to take my husband's surname after we marry?
The Nepalese National Civil Code, Section 81, allows people to change their surname. You can keep your own surname, adopt your husband's surname, or use a combination of your surnames.
What does it mean to be “capable of marrying”?
The physical, mental, and legal capacity to marry is referred to as the ability to marry. You must be physically able to complete the marriage. You must understand the significance of the ceremony mentally. Section 70 of Nepal's National Civil Code makes it mandatory for people aged 20 and up who are not married to have children.
Can I get a letter stating that I am either single or unmarried?
It is referred to as a "no objection" letter. Foreigners can obtain a no objection letter by visiting their respective embassies, while Nepali citizens can visit a local village development committee. He or she must provide official proof of their unmarried status.
Is there an age limit for marriage in Nepal?
Yes. To marry, both the bride and groom must be at least 20 years old.
Is there a time limit?
Yes. A marriage certificate takes two days to obtain. The day an application for a marriage certificate is filed and the next day the certificate is issued, you can file an application on the first day and receive your marriage certificate on the second day.
Do we require witnesses?
Yes. Section 77 of the National Civil Code of 2074 requires at least two witnesses.